Brooklyn Ed’s New York Burlesque Calendar
A brief listing of regular burlesque shows and somewhat related cabaret, circus, variety and vaudeville events in the New York area of which I am aware (locations in Manhattan unless otherwise noted). Click on a day of the week to bring up a listing of upcoming events for that day.
Items to note, some burlesque, some not:
· Fans of Mae West know she went to jail for ten days over her play Sex. Now Frigid New York in association with The Dirty Blonds presents a staged reading of Sex at Under St. marks (94 St. Marks Place) September 29-October 2 at 7.
· Theater history fans may also be interested in the revival of The Black Crook, arguably the first American musical, on its 150th Anniversary at the Abron Arts Center (466 Grand St) September 17 thru October 7.
· The Love Show & .357 Lover present Boomstick Ballet, a Bruce Campbell Rock Opera Ballet in 3 Acts at the Theater for the New City (155 First Ave), October 6-8 at 10:30.
· For fans of street bands and spectacle, HONK NYC returns October 11-15 at various venues with some warm-up performances September 27 & October 1.
· For another view of popular music, Taylor Mac is performing A 24-Decade History of Popular Music at St. Ann’s Warehouse (45Water St, DUMBO Brooklyn) September 15 thru October 8. Different decades on different days.
REMEMBER: This list is far from complete and is subject to change as schedules and venues may suddenly change. Check any links beforehand for last minute schedule changes and ticket/cover charges. (Note that many of these events are also listed on FaceBook.) I try to update this listing at the start of the week so let me know via e-mail of other shows or updates at least a week in advance.
There are a large number of annual burlesque related events in New York worth noting: Burlesque at the Beach; the Coney Island Mermaid Parade (June); Coney Island Rockabilly Festival; and, of course, the New York Burlesque Festival. Aside from the big national events such as the Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekend in Las Vegas and Tease-O-Rama, there are a growing number of regional multiday festivals in the US and Canada. For a partial listing, click here for Brooklyn Ed’s Burlesque Festival Calendar (updated for 2016). You can also check out the Burlesque Festivals Information spreadsheet created by RiRI SynCyr and now maintained by the BurlyCon crew.
Interested in learning the art of Burlesque in New York? Professor Jo "Boobs" Weldon operates the New York School of Burlesque - check the website for details of the various classes offered. Or drop by your favorite bookstore and pick up a copy of The Burlesque Handbook by Jo Weldon. In addition, Brown Girls Burlesque also offers workshops.
Need more info?
Want more? Don’t forget to check out websites of performers and troupes for their current schedules. On FaceBook? – check out the new page created by JZ Bich – NYC Burlesque Shows and related arts – for the latest show notices by NYC area performers. Traveling out of NYC? Check out BurlesqueBeat and Lilli Von Schtupp’s Burlesque411 for info on shows in various cities. There are also some city-specific listings such as Maxwell Wood’s blog which covers San Francisco area shows.
Created January 2005; Updated 19 September 2016