Brooklyn Ed’s New York Burlesque Calendar
A brief listing of regular burlesque shows and somewhat related cabaret, circus, variety and vaudeville events in the New York area of which I am aware (locations in Manhattan unless otherwise noted). Click on a day of the week to bring up a listing of upcoming events for that day.
Special Events of note ...
· A Special edition of Shaken and Stirred: The Finale – In Memory of DJ Jess at the Delancey (168 Delancey btwn Clinton & Attorney) on April 22 at 9.
· The 3rd Annual New York Hot Jazz Festival at The Players Club (16 Gramercy Park South) on May 3rd.
· Thirsty Girl and Daniel Nardico present the 4th Annual New York Boylesque Festival on May 8th at the Knitting Factory & May 9that BB Kings.
· Speakeasy Dollhouse offers an immersive experience at Ziegfeld’s Midnight Frolic at a hidden theatre in Time Square Thursdays to Saturdays at 8 through June 6th.
· Coney Island Sideshow is now open Saturday & Sunday, from 1:00 to 8:00 at Coney Island USA (1208 Surf Ave, Coney Island). Burlesque at the Beach returns on Friday & Saturday nights starting in May.
REMEMBER: This list is far from complete and is subject to change as schedules and venues may suddenly change. Check any links beforehand for last minute schedule changes and ticket/cover charges. (Note that many of these events are also listed on FaceBook.) I try to update this listing at the start of the week so let me know via e-mail of other shows or updates at least a week in advance.
There are a large number of annual burlesque related events in New York worth noting: Burlesque at the Beach; the Coney Island Mermaid Parade (June); Coney Island Rockabilly Festival; and, of course, the New York Burlesque Festival. Aside from the big national events such as the Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekend in Las Vegas and Tease-O-Rama, there are a growing number of regional multiday festivals in the US and Canada. For a partial listing, click here for Brooklyn Ed’s Burlesque Festival Calendar. You can also check out the Festivals listings from Maxwell Wood and RiRI SynCyr.
Interested in learning the art of Burlesque in New York? Professor Jo "Boobs" Weldon operates the New York School of Burlesque - check the website for details of the various classes offered. Or drop by your favorite bookstore and pick up a copy of The Burlesque Handbook by Jo Weldon. In addition, Brown Girls Burlesque also offers workshops.
Need more info?
Want more? Sign up to the burlesquerevue group on Yahoo and don’t forget to check out websites of performers and troupes for their current schedules. On FaceBook? – check out the new page created by JZ Bich – NYC Burlesque Shows and related arts – for the latest show notices by NYC area performers. Traveling out of NYC? Check out BurlesqueBeat and Lilli Von Schtupp’s Burlesque411 for info on shows in various cities. There are also some city-specific listings such as Maxwell Wood’s blog which covers San Francisco area shows.
Created January 2005; Updated 22 April 2015